Applications & Permits
Application forms, checklists, and supplemental materials for applications to the Department of Community Development are available on this page. Your application will be accepted for official review when all necessary documentation and fees have been submitted.
Fee Schedule (PDF) - Department of Community Development permit application fees.
Building / Zoning Permit Application
Building/Zoning Permit Application (PDF) - Required before constructing, moving, or structurally altering any building or structure. Use this application for gas, plumbing, electrical, or mechanical equipment work and for zoning approvals regarding sheds, fences, zoning letters, address requests, and ordinance text amendment.
- Do I Need A Building Permit? (Checklist) (PDF)
- Accessibility Certification Statement (PDF)
- Asbestos Abatement Form (PDF)
- Basement Details (PDF)
- Building Code Appeal (PDF)
- Deck Details (PDF)
- Gas Inspection Certification (PDF)
- Gas Piping Application (PDF)
- Homeowner as Contractor (PDF)
- Illustrative Sample Basement Plans (PDF)
- Mechanics Lien Agent (PDF)
- Request to Modify Building Code (PDF)
- Vent Chimney Certification (PDF)
- Wet Bar Declaration (PDF)
Business License Permit Application
Business License Application (PDF) - This application requires approval prior to opening a business, moving an existing business located within the Town, or changing ownership for an existing business. The Business License Application also verifies the zoning classification of the business location and any conditions that might apply to the property. Refer to Starting a Business Guide for more information about starting a business within the Town.
- Mobile Food Vendor Brochure (PDF) (Food Truck Application)
- Home Occupation Addendum (PDF) - Persons applying for a Business License to operate a home-based business must fill out and attach this addendum to their Business License Application.
- Massage Therapy Business Addendum or Massage Therapist Permit (PDF) - Persons applying to open a business that provides massage therapy services must include this addendum with their Business License Application. This application is also required for all massage therapists within the Town.
Sign Permit Application
Sign Permit (PDF) - Unless otherwise stated in the Zoning Ordinance (Article 6), all signs shall require a sign permit. Where applicable, signs in the Historic District shall receive approval by the Architectural Review Board (ARB) prior to issuance of a sign permit. A building permit may also be required in conjunction with a sign permit, depending on the sign type and installation method.
- A-Frame/T-Frame Sidewalk Sign Permit (PDF), required for placement on a Town sidewalk
Historic District Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)
Historic District Certificate of Appropriateness (PDF) - A Certificate of Appropriateness shall be obtained before exterior alterations of property within the Warrenton Historic District. See the Zoning Ordinance (Article 3-5.3) for a description of the regulations concerning the Warrenton Historic District. The application deadline is the first of the month or the business day immediately following. View the Architectural Review Board page for more information regarding the COA and the review process.
Pre-Application Meeting Form
Pre-Application Meeting Form (PDF) - Pre-application meetings are available to provide guidance to the applicants prior to submitting a formal application. For required pre-application meetings, email the Planning Manager, who will respond to each request within 15 calendar days of receipt. A Pre-Application meeting is a requirement prior to submitting the following types of applications:
- Certificate of Appropriateness (as needed)
- Comprehensive Plan Amendment
- Zoning Map Amendment (Rezoning)
- Special Use Permit
Please note, all documents must be submitted prior to the pre-application meeting!
Land Development Application
Land Development Application (PDF) - This application is to accompany all land development proposals (as-built, site development plan, preliminary/final plat, special use permit, text amendment, rezoning, variance, waiver, etc.).
Minor Site Development Plan Revision (PDF) - May be submitted for changes that do not necessitate a site development plan nor a site development plan amendment.
If applicable, include the following with your Land Development Application:
- Land Use Application Affidavit(s) (PDF) - Required when an applicant's representative is submitting an application on behalf of a property owner.
- As-Built Plan Submission Checklist (PDF) - A filled copy of this checklist should be submitted with an As-Built Plan application.
- Final Plat Subdivision Submission Checklist (PDF) - A filled copy of this checklist should be submitted with every final plat submission and resubmission.
- Site Development Plan Submission Checklist (PDF) - A filled copy of this checklist should be submitted with every site plan submission and resubmission.
- Special Use Permit (SUP) Submission Checklist (PDF) - A filled copy of this checklist should be submitted with every special use permit application.No application shall be accepted and reviewed unless determined by the Planning Manager to be complete. Notification of acceptance or rejection of the application will be made within 15 calendar days of submission.
- Zoning Map Amendments Submission Checklist (PDF) - A filled copy of this checklist should be submitted with every zoning map amendment application. No application shall be accepted and reviewed unless determined by the Planning Manager to be complete. Notification of acceptance or rejection of the application will be made within 15 calendar days of submission.
Land Disturbance Permits
Land Disturbance Permit - More than 1 Acre (PDF) and Land Disturbance Permit - Less than 1 Acre (PDF) - No person may engage in any land-disturbing activity until a Land Disturbance Permit (including an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan with necessary bond posted) has been submitted for review/approval by the Town. A copy of the approved Land Disturbance Permit must be posted on-site. See Zoning Ordinance (Article 5-4) for exceptions.
Agreement in Lieu of an Erosion & Sediment Control Plan
Agreement in Lieu of an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (PDF) - May be submitted for the construction of a single-family dwelling.
If you have questions regarding any of these documents, please contact:
- The Department of Community Development at (540) 347-2405